- The mobile app, which allows for epidemiologic data collection and analysis, was launched in the U.K. and US in March.
- The COVID-19 Symptom Tracker enables people to self-report data related to novel coronavirus exposure, symptoms and infections.
- The app can predict the dynamics of COVID-19 incidence a few days in advance of traditional measures, such as positive tests, hospitalisations or mortality.
- The predictive power of the app highlights the “potential utility of real-time symptom tracking to help guide allocation of resources for testing and treatment as well as recommendations for lockdown or easement in specific areas.
Coronavirus Pandemic Epidemiology (COPE)
- A primary objective of this research is to identify risk factors for COVID-19 infection and to produce data on their clinical outcomes over the near- and long-term. This will offer real-time assessment on the spread of COVID-19, including the identification of new high-risk regions that may benefit from greater testing or hospital capacity. This information may be useful for rapid development and deployment of clinical care and diagnostic infrastructure to help those who need it most.
Other specific goals of this work include:
- An improved understanding of COVID-19 symptoms
- A comprehensive assessment of risk factors and predictors of subsequent outcomes. These include clinical data, lifestyle factors, and molecular correlates (e.g. genetic)
- A focus on the impact of the COVID-19 epidemic on health care workers and persons living with cancer